Sunday 21st October
Community Engagement: October Update
Coming up in Community Engagement, we are looking forward to hosting our annual Conducting Workshop with CSO Chief Conductor Benjamin Northey on 8th November from 1pm to 4pm in the CSO rehearsal rooms, where he will discuss the basics of conducting before putting four participants through their paces. Observation of this workshop is free. If you would like to attend as an observer, please RSVP to Cathy Irons at firstname.lastname@example.org.
As we head into the final stretch of the year, the CSO’s Community Engagement Programme is looking towards 2019, where we will be bringing even more activities to the community.
Applications for the loan of the Slater ¾ Violin for 2019 are now open. The Slater Violin was very generously donated to the CSO's Community Engagement Programme by Mrs Barbara Slater in 2015 to be loaned to a violin student who is looking to use a smaller instrument before moving onto a full-size violin.
If you are interested in loaning the violin, please contact Cathy Irons at email@example.com.
In 2019, the CSO will be back with even more Community Engagement activities, including:
- Working with Dementia Canterbury to create a programme that will instil enjoyment and improve quality of life for people with dementia
- More collaborations with Jolt Interactive Dance, including for their biennial showcase
- Fourteen Music Trails through the Library performances in libraries across Christchurch and Selwyn
- A chamber music weekend for community groups
- Big Bang Concerts for students
- Karawhiua! Let’s Play! residencies in local schools
- Conducting workshops
- Composition workshops
- Professional development for primary school teachers
- Recitals at lifestyle villages
We’re delighted that, along with our Secondary School Ambassador Programme, we will now also have an Ambassador Programme for intermediate schools. Each school can have up to two CSO ambassadors, who will then be able to promote the orchestra’s concerts and events at their schools and bring their peers to select concerts for free. Ambassadors also have the opportunity to meet members of the orchestra and attend open rehearsals.
If you are an educator who is interested in registering your school in the programme, please contact Cathy Irons at firstname.lastname@example.org.